Wednesday, April 15, 2015

harry potter book club: the sorcerer's stone




First of all - Happy Birthday to Emma Watson!

Last month I officially commenced The Harry Potter Book Club. Over the past 30+ days, a good handful of us began to read (or reread) these delightful books, and I am here to review and discuss The Sorcerer's Stone with you all. I tried my best to read this book with an entirely fresh perspective, going back in time to 1997 when this volume was brand new and the story was a puzzle of exciting mystery and anticipation.

This is just a general collection of my impressions and thoughts, so feel free to use them as a jumping point for our discussion. You can also go way off course and share absolutely anything you want from this reading experience! 

I hate to state the obvious, but SPOILERS ABOUND. If you have never read this book, I feel sad. But this is a spoiler-filled review. 



Albus Dumbledore had gotten to his feet. He was beaming at the students, his arms open wide, as if nothing could have pleased him more than to see them all there. "Welcome," he said. "Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are:
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
Thank you!"

1. First Impressions
are sometimes the most important. Were you able to finish the book this month? If so, what did you think? What did you think of J. K. Rowling's writing style? Answers vary depending on whether it's a first-time read or a reread, but I'd love to hear your initial thoughts.

Questions: What was going through your head the moment you finished the last page? Who is your favorite character so far? If it's your first time reading, do you feel compelled to continue? If it's not, did anything specifically jump out at you this time around?

2. Fear and Jealousy
can be so destructive and ugly. They can rot a person to their very core. I remember vehemently hating the Dursleys when I read these books the first time, and it wasn't until I finished the series that I realized how sorry I felt for them. There's a very complex family dynamic that's going on here that isn't completely realized until the last book. I'm paying much closer attention to them this time around.

The biggest thing that jumped out at me this time around is this: you have to wonder why Dumbledore really left Harry there, instead of with a wizarding family that would have loved and cherished him. The Dursleys' relationship with Harry has always been driven mainly by fear and jealousy, and while it's a horrid thing to watch, it also exposes impressive and important qualities in Harry that seem to be inherent from the beginning: bravery, humility, goodness, fairness, hope. Could that have been Dumbledore's purpose all along?

Questions: Did you secretly wish the snake had taken a bite out of Dudley before escaping the zoo? Do you think Dumbledore left Harry with the Dursleys to build character and shield him from a childhood of entitlement and excess? How do you think Harry managed to maintain such noble character traits while living beneath the stairs (and beyond)?





3. A Huge Life Change
very rarely comes in the form of a giant man breaking down your door and declaring, "Yer a wizard, Harry!" but when it does, it makes for great reading. I absolutely adore the shack-on-a-stormy-rock scene, because the Dursleys finally get scared spitless and Harry finally learns about the secret we've been dying to tell him since page 1. The introduction to the wizarding world is pretty overwhelming for the poor boy. It's even worse when he has to leave it again to go back to his dull and miserable life with the Dursleys until the school year starts!

On a side note, Hagrid's life story seems awfully tragic to me. He was expelled from Hogwarts, and apparently in the wizarding world that means you never get another chance to legally practice magic. You are trapped in a magic-less life forever. Granted, he doesn't strictly adhere to that rule...but doesn't it seem a tad extreme that an 11 year old could get into mischief at school and end up exiled forever?

Questions: How easy/difficult is it for you to read the supernatural/magical? How do you feel about the fact that Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts, and is never allowed to use magic again





4. Harry's First Choices
about who to spend his time with arrive early on in his introduction to the wizarding world. He spent 11 years in the forced company of the Dursleys, never having the time or the means to build other relationships. Luckily he has great instincts, and thus the trio was born. He was also able to immediately recognize Dursley-esque characteristics in others, and knew he wanted no more of that.




He has a keen eye, perhaps paying more attention to the needs of others to make up for all of the years that he was undervalued and ignored. He is naturally attracted to other possible outcasts, in which he is able to see the strengths that he desires and admires. Hermione, the brilliant muggle-born, and Ron, the loyal boy from a poor family, become his core. Although Hermione doesn't actually join the boys until chapter 10, after earning their immediate dislike for her know-it-all tendencies. But as J. K. Rowling writes in chapter 7, "There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them."

















5. The Mirror of Erised
is an incredibly poignant segment of this book. I was reminded that this isn't necessarily a book just for children, as much as it is a story about children. The series grows along with the reader. There are many intricate tragedies in this book (including the worst detention ever concocted, like whoa). The loss of innocence (unicorn blood), the Mirror, facing death. Harry encounters all of these and despite them or because of them he is more emboldened than ever to stand firm against the dark side. The more I think about the Mirror, the sadder I feel. It's the very first time Harry is able to see his parents. Until Hagrid gives him a scrapbook of his parents at the end of the book (sob!), he had never even seen a photograph of them.

This chapter also brings us one of the best Dumbledore quotes: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." For those of you who have seen the movies, I would like to announce that the real Dumbledore of the books is quirky, strange, mysterious, magical, and wonderful in every way. He is not mean, he is not creepy, he does not scream or throttle people. He is definitely my favorite character to reread. That is all.





6. The Mystery of Snape
is one of the greatly debated Harry Potter universe subjects. Is he good or evil? Either way, I think it's fairly clear that even though he saves Harry's life a time or two in this book, he also goes out of his way to make Harry's life miserable in the meantime. Despite the fact that Harry's father James has been dead for 11 years, Snape takes it upon himself to continue dishing out his pent up wrath on his only child. We get some explanation from Dumbledore at the end, but it doesn't provide a lot of comfort, to me or to Harry.

"Well, they did rather detest each other. Not unlike yourself and Mr. Malfoy. And then, your father did something Snape could never forgive."

"What?"

"He saved his life."

"WHAT!?"

"Yes..." said Dumbledore dreamily. "Funny, the way people's minds work, isn't it? Professor Snape couldn't bear being in your father's debt.... I do believe he worked so hard to protect you this year because he felt that would make him and your father even. Then he could go back to hating your father's memory in peace...."

Harry tried to understand this but it 
made his head pound, so he stopped.






7. The Ending!
J. K. Rowling does a mighty fine job of weaving together a story. She brings a lot of elements full-circle, including the Mirror of Erised and the various personal talents of the trio that allows them to successfully navigate the puzzles and charms that lead to the Sorcerer's Stone.

This book is really about laying the groundwork for the kind of hero Harry is going to be, and how he's going to empower himself by choosing goodness and love instead of power in and of itself. Quirrell says, "There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it." He's immediately proven wrong when Harry demonstrates that the power he has within is greater than anything Quirrell (or Voldemort) could ever know.

"Your mother died to save you. If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love. He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark. Not a scar, no visible sign... to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin. Quirrell, full of hatred, greed, and ambition, sharing his soul with Voldemort, could not touch you for this reason. 
It was agony to touch a person marked by something so good."

Dumbledore now became very interested in a bird out on the windowsill, which gave Harry time to dry his eyes on the sheet.


Questions: Were you surprised when the stuttering, turban-wearing Quirrell turned out to be the one who was after the Sorcerer’s Stone? Was there anything in the plot that led you to suspect him? Was there a particularly heartfelt moment in the book that got to you?

Thanks for joining our Harry Potter Book Club for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!!
Share your thoughts below, but be careful of spoilers if it's your first time through this series because there are a few. If you've read them/seen them before and are commenting, try to only mention plot points from this book and avoid big series-wide spoilers. Thanks!!

The next review will be up on the blog one month from today, on May 15th, in celebration of Professor Sprout's birthday. See you then!





*Join the Harry Potter Book Club
**View All Harry Potter Book Club Reviews
***Read all Harry Potter Related Blog Posts


13 comments:

  1. One thing I love about this first book is how many different people help to initiate Harry to Hogwarts. Hagrid is his first contact; McGonagall explains the house system; at the opening banquet he asks Percy a ton of questions; Ron gives him a lot of the inside scoop stuff (although a lot of it's wrong info he's received from his older brothers!), and Seamus is the first person who mentions the concept of half-bloodedness, which will be really important later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend and I were just talking about this! J. K. Rowling is really clever in the ways she's provides the reader with information, foreshadowing and world-building alike. It always feels very organic. All of the introductions of the first book are especially endearing, once you know the ultimate fates of everyone involved.

      Delete
  2. Re-reading the book I had the same thought as you, Caitlin. "Why is Dumbledore leaving him with muggles??"and I really think it was wise. I don't think you gain the courage and loyalty Harry has without that. If he had grown up famous he probably would have landed himself in Slytherin. Interested in power ;) I also love how JK Rowling brings everything full circle so well. She really knew her story. I was looking for things that had changed by the last book ;) Dumbledore using the light clicker that he later leaves for Ron. First chapter. Come back book 6 or 7? Harry is great, but he's not great without Hermione and Ron. The greatest leaders need help. Something Voldemort doesn't necessarily get. The charms protecting the stone were a great example of that and I do almost wonder if Dumbledore had them all set up for that very purpose. Was Dumbledore preparing Harry from day 1 when he dropped him off with juggles and then his first year for his master plan of defeating Voldemort once and for all. I'm going to pay more attention to Dumbledore. LOVE him. The Dursleys....are just awful and i'm not going to read any more into them ;) I did love reading the re-introductions of everyone and remembering how important they'll be to the story. I actually enjoyed reading about Neville the most!! I always dismissed him I think and I was surprised to remember what an integral part he played in this book. He really is the 4th invisible partner and i'm looking forward to seeing more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH man, so many great thoughts.
      I think Dumbledore leaving him with the Dursleys really was intentional for that very reason. As Dumbledore even says in this book, "I have other ways of being invisible". He is my favorite to read now, knowing everything. He is a riveting character. I think his hand in the events of the series are often in between the lines. You have to wonder about the journey to the stone, because it seemed so tailor made for the trio. And Dumbledore had to know when he left that it would be unprotected. He arrived back just in time. Fascinating. (Because as you say, at this point we know that Dumbledore knows so much more - he already knows the end game. How much of Harry's experiences are instigated by Dumbledore?).
      Rowling's foreshadowing and the way she subtly weaves pieces in is so satisfying. And really, that love/loyalty/friendship is the key that Harry had that Voldemort never would or could. And poor, sweet Neville. He is the 4th amigo and as always, reading the books is truly superior if only to get a more complete understanding of each character that is reduced or changed or left out of the movies. Neville is king.

      Delete
  3. I forgot how much Neville there is in the first book--the movie kind of downplays his role. Neville is my fave. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love that Dumbledore uses Neville to tip the scale for Gryffindor's victory. It's wonderful.

      Delete
  4. #1 I DID finish the book on time but I've been so busy the last couple of days, I haven't had a chance to discuss on here yet! So here it goes... I really enjoy J.K. Rowlings writing style. The books are very easy to read, intriguing, full of foreshadowing and gripping!!! My favorite character so far (and through out the entire series) is Ron! His one liners make me laugh every time.

    #2 I think Dumbledore knew exactly what he was doing when he left Harry with the God awful Dursley's! After reading all of the books, I would never question Dumbledore and his judgement, but my first time through the books I remember thinking how horrible I thought that decision was! I loathed the Dursley's...still do in fact.

    #3 It makes me very sad that Hagrid was expelled from Hogwarts and forbidden from using magic ever again because I KNOW the circumstances of it from reading all the books already, and it just breaks my heart. Hagrid has such a big heart and a kind soul. He would do anything for Harry. <3

    #4 I love that Harry becomes best friends with Ron and Hermoine! They are the PERFECT side kicks for Harry and by the end of the series, they are family. (literally) With Ron marrying Hermoine...Ginny marrying Harry...lol. I love knowing that now though and re-reading this first book and seeing what an admirer of Harry that Ginny was. I think, if only someone could have told her back then that she would one day marry Harry Potter, she would have lost her mind!!

    #5 "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." LOVE. I want this on my wall...to go with my other Dumbledore quote that is already in a frame in my bedroom. =)

    #6 My first time reading The Sorcerer's Stone, I absolutely hated Snape. Knowing what I know from the entire series though makes me sad for him. Although, I still never liked how he treated Harry through out the entire series!

    #7 The first time through, I never would have guessed that Professor Quirrell was a bad guy, but reading it this time I saw all of the subtle hints and I thought that was pretty cool. And once again, I was so happy that Harry defeated him and that Dumbledore showed up right in the nick of time.

    These books are amazing and I can't wait to start the 2nd one this weekend!

    -Amber Schoenberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've joined this book club, Amber!!

      I'm glad you are having the opportunity to read these books at this point and to reread them again already! I love being reminded of how unique and wonderful each character is; especially in their dialogue and more detailed development, the things that just cannot be captured accurately in the movies. I love Ron too.

      I think Hagrid's storyline is especially tragic because really, the trio gets into worse trouble and is nearly expelled multiple times. But they're ultimately successful. I think he deserves his full education and his wand.

      My favorites to reread and pay special attention to are definitely Dumbledore and Ginny! So so great, especially in hindsight of the whole series.

      I typically don't think too much ahead when I read and love to be surprised by what I'm reading, and I remember being shocked and delighted that Quirrell was the villain!! Reading it again definitely allows you to see her hints. I love that.

      Thanks so much for reading and interacting here!! Can't wait for book 2!

      Delete
  5. Okay! I finally am getting around to this! I forgot how much I adore these books. So happy I decided to be a part of this book club! Kory and I are going to watch the movie every time we end a book.
    So for my answers:
    1. Because this wasn't my first time reading this book, when I finished the last page I thought about how much I really do love this series. I think J.K. Rowling does an incredible job bringing you through this part of Harry's life. Her writing style is easy to read but provides so much detail.
    Something that stood out more this time than the first time I read the book were the little hints about Quirrell. I think the first time I read it I played along with the characters in thinking that Snape was the one after Harry and the stone but I think I remember thinking that was too obvious. At this point in the series I would say Ron is my favorite character. The way he interacts with others, specifically Hermoine, just makes me laugh. She did a really good job at bringing his personality to life.
    2. I think Dumbledore knew exactly what he was doing when he left Harry with the Dursleys. However, things could have played out differently. When you think about what Harry had been through and then what he goes through at Hogwarts (always being called famous, somehow is the first person to be suspected of for anything, all of the times trying to ward of Voldemort, etc.) he could have taken a different route then he did. I think the reason he was able to maintain his humble qualities was because of the people he decided to surround himself with. He could have easily turned into a bitter, angry, revengeful person, only thinking of himself and the wrong that had been done to him. As the series does progress, you do see his anger come out but not so much that it controlled him. Lastly, he also didn't play the “victim” card, which would have been easy for him to do.
    3. In the beginning of the series reading about the supernatural/magical isn't difficult because J.K. is slow to bring in all of the aspects of it, the good, the bad and the ugly. But as the series progresses and dark magic becomes more prevalent, it does become a bit more difficult to read, for me at least. I have a tendency to put myself into the series so when I read the later books I can feel the heaviness of what is going on, which can make it difficult to get through. Well, no spoiler alerts here, but when you find out later why Hagrid was expelled, I was pretty annoyed. Taking into account the supernatural aspect of this book, I have a feeling there were some people in Hogwarts that knew full well that it wasn't Hagrid that did anything to get expelled. For wizards and witches, they could have investigated a bit more. I mean, wouldn't someone know what would have caused it? I am trying not to reveal too much for those that haven’t read the other books so hopefully those that have know what I am talking about 
    4. Like I said before, I had my suspicions the first time I read the book that there was something a little of with Quirrell. When you continue to read about him and his turban (how it had a funny smell, gross!) it becomes clear that there is more to him than what you are given. The interactions with Snape also sent a red flag. One of the biggest red flags though was when Harry overheard him the classroom and you found out he was alone, considering what he was saying to himself. The heartfelt moment that is sticking out to me now is when Harry first encounters the Mirror of Erised. He not only sees his mother and father but his whole family! I was a mess at that part. Thinking about what it would be like in that situation to have never met your family. Growing up the way I did always around family, I couldn't imagine never meeting them so it made me a bit emotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're reading along!! As much as I (sometimes obsessively) love HP, it's crazy that I've only read through the series once until now. I think it just took me a while to recover from it. I definitely invest fully in what I read, so finishing a series like this that I was waiting year to year to get the new book...ending that journey was kind of exhausting! So I took a nice long break, and now I'm ready to be back.

      I was definitely paying more attention to her little Quirrell hints, too. The bad-smelling turban, GAH. So disgusting! And when Fred and George throw snowballs at Quirrell's turban, quite literally snowballing Voldy.

      I think I also was reminded of how easy these books start - they're incredibly easy to read and are kind of paced and written for a younger reader, like a Hogwarts 1st year. Each book grows along with Harry which I think is brilliant. I had really missed the interactions and dialogue of the trio, because the movies don't go as deep as the books. You understand why certain relationships develop later on because you watch them happen in more detail. :)

      I think Harry is definitely unique - I think his humility is the only way he was able to withstand such a crazy transition at 11 years old. But he's also brave and a go-getter, so when people don't believe him, he just goes and does it himself because he knows it's the right thing to do. I just can't help thinking that Harry and the others get so much grace when it comes to discipline, and Hagrid got none. It just doesn't make sense that he wouldn't have another chance, or that once Voldemort came to power, they wouldn't reevaluate what happened that year, ya know? Sigh.

      Lastly, I cry every time the Mirror of Erised comes up, both movie and book. I think it's an absolutely tragic scene that Rowling creates. I think it also really endears and bonds Harry to the reader in a way nothing else could at that point. It's heartbreaking.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're reading along!! As much as I (sometimes obsessively) love HP, it's crazy that I've only read through the series once until now. I think it just took me a while to recover from it. I definitely invest fully in what I read, so finishing a series like this that I was waiting year to year to get the new book...ending that journey was kind of exhausting! So I took a nice long break, and now I'm ready to be back.

    I was definitely paying more attention to her little Quirrell hints, too. The bad-smelling turban, GAH. So disgusting! And when Fred and George throw snowballs at Quirrell's turban, quite literally snowballing Voldy.

    I think I also was reminded of how easy these books start - they're incredibly easy to read and are kind of paced and written for a younger reader, like a Hogwarts 1st year. Each book grows along with Harry which I think is brilliant. I had really missed the interactions and dialogue of the trio, because the movies don't go as deep as the books. You understand why certain relationships develop later on because you watch them happen in more detail. :)

    I think Harry is definitely unique - I think his humility is the only way he was able to withstand such a crazy transition at 11 years old. But he's also brave and a go-getter, so when people don't believe him, he just goes and does it himself because he knows it's the right thing to do. I just can't help thinking that Harry and the others get so much grace when it comes to discipline, and Hagrid got none. It just doesn't make sense that he wouldn't have another chance, or that once Voldemort came to power, they wouldn't reevaluate what happened that year, ya know? Sigh.

    Lastly, I cry every time the Mirror of Erised comes up, both movie and book. I think it's an absolutely tragic scene that Rowling creates. I think it also really endears and bonds Harry to the reader in a way nothing else could at that point. It's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I hadn't really thought about the fact that Dumbledore knew where everything was headed. That's kind of mind blowing. I guess I never really looked at the first books in the context of what we learn about him in the later books. I know that he's old and wise but I would imagine it would still be hard to let Harry walk in to such dangerous situations not knowing what the end result would be--I guess that's what parenting is like?

    The way JK Rowling creates Harry's world and introduces it all to us is one of my favorite things about the book--it's seamless and pretty incredible how everything fits together. The fact that Harry was raised by muggles gave her the perfect avenue to teach the reader about her wizarding world--Harry was as clueless as we were. So brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would think that much of what Dumbledore allows is a huge gamble - how could it not be? But knowing what we do, it seems impossible that he wouldn't have been fully informed of and even aiding in Harry's experiences and challenges. While he often takes steps to try and spare Harry from further pain (which is why he doesn't bring Harry fully into the knowledge he has until he thinks it's finally necessary), it seems to me like he's providing Harry the necessary tools and freedoms so that he'll ultimately be ready for what's to come. Like parenting for sure. He's an intensely powerful wizard that somehow manages to seem a little off kilter and oblivious - but that's not the case in the slightest. It's seriously eye opening, reading him from that perspective.

    ReplyDelete