Friday, March 27, 2015

harry potter favorites

Hufflepuff Scarf | Sequin Gryffindor | Hufflepuff Quidditch


I think I can blame The Harry Potter Book Club for my recent preoccupation with shopping for Harry Potter items online. To be honest, I already own a couple of the items above.

I'm a big fan of embracing the fandoms you belong to. There's something really fun about claiming your place in an expansive community of weirdos that all obsessively (to varying degrees) enjoy the same story-based phenomenons. 

That being said, I couldn't help getting this dress. Mostly because my husband surprised me with it. But I knew we belonged together the moment I saw it. Black and white patterns are my favorite to remix with, they're so versatile. I could picture wearing it with a sweater and tights, and with lighter layers in the warmer weather. The dress runs really small but the fabric is super stretchy (this is actually an extra large), and I love it probably more than I should.

When I wear it it feels like I'm in on a secret joke, because from afar it just looks like a vague pattern. No one has ever commented on the magical print of the dress when I've worn it to work. It feels like a funny kind of rebellion. Only upon closer inspection do you see the lightning bolts, the symbols of the Deathly Hallows, the flying Hedwigs, the potion bottles, golden snitches, Harry's glasses, wands...




I've recently come to the conclusion that if I went to Hogwarts, I would be sorted into Hufflepuff.

I know. It's the reject house. It's the "everyone else" house - the ones who aren't smart, aren't brave, aren't evil. I tried to talk my way out of it, convince myself otherwise - which was really just a fruitless argument against myself. I took a gazillion Sorting quizzes, fighting against the answer I knew I already had. It took me a while to come to terms with my unable-to-be-ignored-any-longer results, but I have gone in circles long enough to finally find myself embracing my Hufflepuff House sorting. Here's why.

1. J.K. Rowling Loves Hufflepuff
2. Cedric Diggory and Nymphadora Tonks were Hufflepuffs
3. Hufflepuffs are basically the Hobbits of the Harry Potter universe
4. Hufflepuff is a House for loyal, humble, trustworthy, friendly, hardworking people.

I like all of those reasons, and I'm going to be a proud Hufflepuff from now until forever.
Now I've just gotta get myself some Hufflepuff gear.









No comments:

Post a Comment