Friday, March 13, 2015

harry potter book club




It's Friday the 13th, everyone! So what better conversation is there than that of witches and wizards?

I have always loved Harry Potter. I feel incredibly close to that series, and I think I owe a lot of that to timing. I had the great privilege of reading the books at the same age as the characters within. I very impatiently awaited each sequel, poring over the new books like a starving man clinging to bread. It was the perfect age to binge read. I was still home-schooled, so I inhaled these books with a surprising fervor.

There's reading, and then there's reading. The crossover happens sometime around adolescence, when you truly find your zest for stories and begin to cherish those late night hours. Oh, to be 12 again. Your stamina is unbelievable, and your passion is completely unquenchable. It's a beautiful age, and it was at that time that I discovered Harry Potter and the beautiful realm of young adult fiction. These books were revolutionary. They grew up along with me. They prized friendship and bravery and loyalty. And that first fervor that I felt hasn't really died down over the years. I think I am more passionate about this series (with its great strengths and its tragic flaws) than I am about anything else. Except perhaps the HIMYM finale. I know, I know. But it's how I feel, so let's move on.



I have often been made fun of for the crazy eyes that I get when discussing Harry Potter. It's not that I truly value Hogwarts and its peoples more than real life (it's not only that), it's just that my 12-year-old self is still very much alive in my soul. As I said, the fervor hasn't died down. There's something about that series specifically that is inherently special to me. I dunno, it's like, magic or something.

All that being said, I think it's high time to revisit these books. My husband and I recently watched The Half-Blood Prince, and I realized that there are many details that have become fuzzy in my brain. I don't have a lot of love for the movies -- I'm loyal to the books, through and through -- but they've become my quick fix for Harry Potterness. Plus, that soundtrack is nothing to sniff at. It's fantastic.

I have a special kind of secret side-eye glare for people in the world that have seen the Harry Potter movies and never read the books. Those people (maybe those people are you, reader, so get ready for a scolding) don't know Harry Potter. They just don't. It's a farse, a phony. For the love of Hagrid, people, educate yourselves. Stretch your brain. Read a book. Or seven. It's about time. So, now is your chance. I am officially commencing the Harry Potter Book Club. I am pretty confident that there are thousands of Harry Potter Book Clubs out there, which is fantastic.

Join me in reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by April 15th, because that's Emma Watson's birthday and we all thank the Lord for her birth. I will be posting my review and discussion questions here on the blog on that date. It should be a grand ol' time.

Join our Facebook group by clicking here and become privy to thoughts and discussions from other readers. Also use #TheHarryPotterBookClub hashtag on Instagram and Twitter if you choose to post while reading along. It's a weird kind of miracle that this hashtag wasn't already in use!

I highly encourage you to get a real copy of the book, new or used, and mark it up like it's your personal Marauder's Map invention. Fold pages, underline favorite quotes, read it thoroughly and lovingly and actively like it's the first time. If it actually is your first time, well, better late than never.



No comments:

Post a Comment